Sunday, December 31, 2006

Parents, Grandparents


At long last, had the opportunity to tell my parents - and absolutely no nerves about it at all (I still cannot figure out why it should be nervy, since they know we want children).

I was visiting my parents at tea-time with my younger sister only, which took the edge off the news a little for me - normally Priti is there. My father was pleased at the Big News; not one given to emotional outbursts or gushing in any manner, he looked satisfied. Then he grabbed another meringue. My mother was genuinely happy - though didn't tell me directly. She chatted with my younger sister while I was elsewhere, in very glowing terms. This will be their fifth grandchild, so it's not as if it will turn their world upside-down.

In a curious way - presuming everything goes well - I somehow feel I have 'made it to manhood,' in a way that other successes in life will never quite match.

No comments: